Please bear in mind that if you are attending SI, Professional Studies and/or AI there is a massive
amount of information on equipment available in your coursework. With technology continuously changing,
it is wise to wait until you get the information in class to make some of your purchasing decisions.
Some of the items on this list can be bought during the summer and fall. You do not need to start the
session(s) with all of these items. This checklist provides a quick reference guide to the basic
equipment supplies necessary for SI, Professional Studies and AI. Please expect additions to the
Equipment and Supplies list in early spring before the session(s) begin.
- Digital SLR (DSLR) camera body or a mirrorless, interchangeable lens digital camera with a hot shoe
- Comfortable camera bag or backpack*
- Lens(es) covering wide, normal and telephoto focal lengths (please come to the course with one lens that
covers the normal range. For other lenses, wait until the course begins to make purchases).
- Tripod legs and head*
- Laptop computer (For use in class and outside class)**
- Dedicated flash unit*
- Equipment manual(s) and cables (it’s a good idea to get familiar with your camera manual before arriving).
- Circular polarizer*
- Lens hoods/shades for all lenses
- Cable release/remote*
- Three (3) empty portable external hard drives (you will receive recommendations on these and will need
them on the first day of class)
- Sensor Cleaner*
- Memory cards (compact flash or SD)
- Appropriate software loaded on your computer**
- Flash drive
- Extra batteries for everything
- Monitor Calibration Tool*
- Color Checker Card*
- Textbooks (we’ll update you in the spring. Not applicable for Professional Studies courses)
- Note-taking materials – paper, pens/pencils, voice recorder (optional)
- Wacom Pen Tablet (not required, but recommended for SI and AI)
- For storing digital prints, a package of 8.5”x11” photo pages in a 3-ring binder or binder box
* Unless you already own this equipment, wait until after the SI/AI course begins to purchase.
** We’ll update you in Spring 2013 about this item.
ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR SOME PROFESSIONAL STUDIES COURSES. WE WILL POST UPDATES IN
SPRING 2013 BEFORE THE START OF THE COURSE(S).