Alumni Friday – Fatima Donaldson
In 2008, Fatima Donaldson joined RMSP for the first time for a workshop in California with instructor Tim Cooper. That experience was the impetus for her to continue pursuing her love of photography through furthering her education. A Texas native, she joined us again for a Weekend event in Dallas in 2009. Still hungry for more, her next stop was taking a week long Basic Photography workshop with RMSP owner Neil Chaput de Saintonge in Texas Hill Country. Eventually, this path lead her to attend the entire Career Training program in ’09 and she has been growing in her photography exponentially ever since, both artistically and professionally.
An accomplished business owner and marketing professional, she founded, and is the creative director of Fala Creative, a marketing and advertising agency in Texas which serves clients from Fortune 100 companies to one-person businesses. This professional background lends itself well to expanding her photography interests. A passionate artist, businesswoman and community member, here are some of her latest accomplishments:
- Her image Paintersville Bridge was was selected for the 2010 Pinot Noir LangeTwins Winery Label
- In both 2011 and 2012, she’s exhibited at Wine & Chocolate Weekend at LangeTwins Winery & Vineyards in Lodi, CA
- Eight of her fine art pieces were selected for a new Fort Bend County Annex Building in Texas
- Chosen as a State Visual Arts Judge for the Texas PTA
- Does outreach work through an organization called ARTreach which teaches kids photography in juvenile detentions centers and foster care as a form of expression and communication through their own life experiences. As a result, these kids produced a project call “Port in the Storm” based on the premise that their current location is their port during the storm and offers them time to reflect on their current life situation.
- Teaches her own photography workshops in the Katy/Houston area
- Shoots for clients
- Sells her fine art work in galleries as well as commercial, residential and personal collections nationwide
A lover of travel by nature, she’s been to Africa, Europe as well as all over North America and the Caribbean Islands. Currently she’s planning trips to Hawaii, Australia and an adventure in Tuscany, Italy that will combine Italian cooking with photography (for an e-cookbook).
Overall, her experience with RMSP has lead to a more passion-filled life. She has loved meeting all of the amazing people she’s now proud to call friends and colleagues in this industry, all through the foundation laid by the instructors, staff and everyone affiliated with the school. Her photography is her outlet as she loves to photograph everything either at home or afar. As she puts it, “Everything is my specialty! Why create boundaries when there’s limitless possibilities!” This outlook helps continually to sharpen her skills and keep her current on the latest technology leaving her feeling like she always has something to learn. Her RMSP experience has been truly life changing, both professionally and personally.
We couldn’t be happier for Fatima and her life-expanding endeavors. The capacity to grow in a new field, even when already having major accomplishments under your belt is the hallmark of any true adventurer. To see more of her work, please visit her website at www.fatimaphotography.com.
Along with fellow Career Training program alumnae Brenda Lindstrom and Serena Lissy, Fatima will be exhibiting her work at the Wine & Chocolate Weekend at LangeTwins Winery & Vineyards on February 11-12, 2012.